ROCKTAPE’s Active-Recovery (AR) series of tapes are designed to enhance performance and recovery. Unlike regular compression garments and tapes, ROCKTAPE’s AR series can be used both to apply compression to promote recovery, or decompression to relieve pain and swelling. Rocktape is engineered to meet the demands of endurance athletes like runners, swimmers and cyclists.
The ROCKTAPE AR series features:
- Stickier, hypoallergenic adhesive that won’t fall off during competition
- 180% stretch, the same elasticity as skin, to promote full range of motion
- 97% cotton, 3% Nylon 6/12, low moisture absorption
- Tighter weave, which enables muscle to more easily ‘snap back’ to neutral
- Water resistant
- Variety of designs and colours (all colours have the same properties)
- 5 meters in length by 5cm in width in each roll, about 1 month supply depending on usage
- Wearable for up to 5 days
- More Info
How Rocktape works?
Unlike traditional athletic tape that binds and doesn’t stretch, ROCKTAPE is engineered to mimic the human skin. This stretchiness is the secret behind ROCKTAPE. ROCKTAPE stretches up to 190% of its original length but has amazing ‘snap-back’ or recovery. This is what gives ROCKTAPE its performance advantage over other tapes.
To achieve this, we introduce a special weave into the cotton when the tape is woven. This weave means the tape will stretch in only one direction and the tension of the weave is engineered to mimic the same elasticity as skin. Together, these properties create what we call a “Bio-Mechanical Lifting Mechanism”. This simply means that the tape can lift the skin away from the soft tissue underneath the skin. This lifting capability is what promotes blood flow and lymphatic drainage.
ROCKTAPE can also be used to stabilise muscles and joints that have been sprained or strained. Unlike braces and sleeves that constrain and reduce blood flow, ROCKTAPE can provide support and stability while increasing blood flow. Thus, the tape’s capabilities make it well suited to the repair of localised muscle groups.
What about Performance Improvements?
ROCKTAPE has developed a new protocol for taping called “Power Taping”. By taping all the muscle groups associated with a particular sport, we create a sports specific bio-kinetic chain. For example, with cyclists, we tape the calves, quads and hip flexors. With these muscles taped, they become “engaged”, both mechanically and mentally.
This ensures two things:
- Mechanically the groups are linked and operate in a coordinated fashion. This ensures that when power is applied to the pedals it is done as efficiently as possible (i.e. no splayed knees, hips are balanced, etc). Also, ROCKTAPE increases blood flow to these areas, which promotes endurance and recovery.
- Mentally, we send signals to the brain that originate from the sensor receptors on the skin that have been activated by the tape. This sensory stimulation can be very powerful. For example, elite athletes are very good at pushing through pain but at some point the brain determines that there is a safety issue and slows activity. By telling the brain that there is additional support available via the tape, the brain allows the athlete to push a little harder than if he/she did not have tape.
Whether used for enhanced performance, muscle repair, stability management, or recovery, ROCKTAPE can be a valuable component in the athlete’s toolkit.
More Rocktape videos